Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Thinking break.

Teaching that taking a time out and reflecting on your actions are vital in your chosen field.

John,
So important and so necessary if the desired results are to be achieved.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I think this is very important and there is alot of times when I myslef need to do this to make the right decision for the problem. sometimes when I don't take the time to reflect on it I make major mistakes.

Cindy,
I think this is common for all of us. We need to take the time to reflect because if we don't then our thinking can become clouded and our judgement will not be at the level it needs to be.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

If a student has more than one exam (quiz,test, whatever) in a day, I will NOT allow them to take the exams back to back. I require that they take a 30 minute break between exams to give them the "thinking break" that they need to help shift their minds from subject to subject.

Sharon,
I think this is such a good strategy to follow. Yes, they do need the opportunity to reset their minds and get their thought processes ready to go before they take the next assessment.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Definitely a vital part of my field

ALYSON,
What are some ways that this is true for your field?
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Thinking breaks are needed everywhere: school, careers, everyday life, etc. It is funny how walking away for just a second can bring a possible solution to something you have been spending hours trying to figure out.

Betty,
You have that right. The term "walk about" has real meaning in this situation. Stopping and reflecting can reset the thought process and redirect a person's mindset leading to other options to the problem coming into their minds for possible use.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

As a former high school coach, I cannot over-emphasize the value of a "time out". Reflective breaks, or pauses, tend to not only "recharge our batteries", but also it allows us to check the decision-making "map" and make sure we're still on course! Physically, we rarely forget our mandatory rest periods - it somehow seems much easier to forget the also-required mental breaks. during the instructional day, I am very aware of the students' need for a "thinking break", but let's not forget how important is it for the instructors as well. (Having left the business world for an new carrer in academics, I appreciate this fact even more!) Thinking breaks are always a "win-win" situation!

Richard,
Like your thinking on this. Yes, thinking breaks are necessary and we need to remember that as we do our instructional planning. I wish you much success in your new career in academics. Welcome aboard!
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

Thank you, Gary. I so appreciate your warm and poignant observations and comments. Yes, I am in the health care field (dentistry), and after 32 rewarding years of private practice, I am not just starting a "new chapter" in life, but rather a whole "NEW BOOK"! I love my new career choice, my students, and the thought of working with caring and compassionate professionals like yourself. Thanks, again.

Richard,
I really appreciate your kind words as well as your insight about teaching. With your compassion for helping people and your passion for your field you are going to have a most rewarding and successful teaching career. I look forward to hearing about your successes in the years to come.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

In a kitchen you don't usually get a chance to take time out,so teaching someone to take a deep breathe and think before they react is vital. I like to remind my students to become Proactive not Reactive by taking a step back.

Cynthia,
Like your advice because it is what they need to consider. It is amazing how beneficial a deep breathe and a quick step back can be when it comes to then moving forward with a decision and a solution to a problem.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

I will also have them stop using the manuals,stop reading how to complete the task,and just look at the components and find the correct way of assembly just by reading the parts,how things work or fit together mechanically.a good change for the brain with so much of reading and thinking for the task.

Sidney,
This has to be a fun experience for your students or at least I would think so. This way they start to analyze parts, steps, components and how everything goes together. This moves them to the next level in their critical thinking and problem solving and will aid in their transitioning to the workplace.
Gary

Gary Meers, Ed.D.

There have also been studies done that show that repetitive physical activity frees the subconscious to problem solve. It is important to stress that there is a big difference between being stubborn and being disciplined and persistent.

I think this is a good approach. I also have them compare it to a real life scenario.

Sign In to comment