Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with a language deficiency

If you have finished delivering a lecture, and a student in the class is not understanding due to a limited knowledge of the language being used, what techniques would be employed? This module says there are lots of resources available to employ but doesn't go into any specifics.

Hi Sean,
You could use graphic organizers, guided notes or major point outlines to help students to zero in on the needed concepts and applications. In ED 108, Module 4 I give specific examples of these instructional supports. I will be glad to give you some additional examples if you don't have access to ED 108, Module 4 of if you are looking for some additional information about how to help your students to use these devices as learning resources.
Gary

Hi Sean and Dr. Hart:

I have about 65% of my class that are non native, first time in the USA and have language skills from wonderful to practically holding the textbook upside down, and not knowing the difference.

I wonder how to reach the entire class and am struggling with those who do not seem to know the difference from chapter one to chapter two...

Any solutions?

Bennett

The immediate strategy I would use is to find out what specific area the student is not understanding, and try to clearify that area. With examples, or try to find out what he/or she does understand and how that is different from what the teacher actually wants.

If a good portion of the class is not understanding, due to language, I would try role play, or pictures. Either magazines, or draw on the board, or sit them with a student that does understand. Then after class make sure that student is clear on what you want. Sometimes it may be the instructor needs to talk slower.

Hi Joshula,
Good plan for trouble shooting a specific learning issues for a student. This way you can get at the issue and provide the needed instructional support.
Gary

Hi Joshula,
The key is to be sensitive to what the students are not getting and then decide on how to get the message across to them. Sounds like you are able to do that as needed. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Hi,
A method I have used when trying to communicate with a student that does not understand is to find out what it is they understand about the instruction. How is it different from what I want them to do, and work from there.
Joshula

Hi Joshula,
The teaching method you are using is creating a baseline for your student. Once you know where the student is at you have a starting point from which you provide instructional support for the learner.
Gary

Sign In to comment