Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

People confuse Leadership with Management. They are different. 

I have learned that leadership and management are different. Many people can manage tasks and projects, which differs from guiding or directing people. Leaders do more than provide instructions or dictate orders while managers are critical in ensuring outcomes are executed accordingly. 

Although very similar, both managing and leading require different skills and qualities within a leader to make sure that everything is still organized and delivered to the team in an efficient manner. Managers are essential to the growth of the business and the growth of the team/leaders. 

You must be a good leader to manage.

Managers on on the front lines putting out what leaders are envisioning. Not all great workers are good managers.

Comment on Kassidy Lax's post: Your statement is true Kassidy, but it takes a different kind of personality to manage teams with diverging needs, performance levels, and skill sets.   While I think the two roles can overlap at times, I also think that the role of a manager is tougher than that of a leader.  

Being a good leader can be challenging, but holding standard and policy and communicating is essential.

management isnt about bossing people around but by having a passion for people and the job itself.

Leaders can be managers, but not all managers are leaders. Managers have to be task-oriented, but also have to have people skills like collaboration.

I am starting to realize that there is a distinction between managing and leading. Not all managers possess leadership skills.sess leadership skills.

Managers are essential to a company however not every high performer holds the ability to be a great manager. In fact, it takes more than just high performance numbers - to be a great manager you need to hold a high level of skills in people and influence. 

That I still don't know the difference between manageing and leadership and I want to.

It is unfortunate that there are so few good managers among us. This goes to show, however, that managing is not only a skill that can be learned but it is a talent that can be developed. Finding someone with the natural talent to manage and then assigning management tasks to that individual would not only put that person in the ideal situation to excel and to grow but would also provide substantial support for the team. 

A good manager develops over time...leading by example with good practices such as being on time, following policies, having a positive attitude and communicating well with others. These managers create a 'TEAM" community where each member contributes to the department.

To lead one must be fair, innovative, and able to build trust within the organization.

Managers and Leaders have similar traits but there are also different traits needed as well. 

Leadership and management are intertwined in the mind of companies as well as employees looking to move up to management within their company. The concept of management is important to realize it is more task oriented and team driven to getting tasks completed. Management is about moving a department forward in their tasks, leadership is about vision and development of concepts, processes and functions that can move an organization forward.

Comment on Lakiya Jones's post: Hello LaKaiya, communication is the most important aspect of management I have determined. Good communication goes a long way with employees you are managing.

In regards to promotion into management, it takes more skills than just doing a great job to be considered for management. Mangers must be able to engage with all personalities and be able to get people on board and motivate.  

Being a good manager requires a goal oriented mindset, good people skills, the ability to persuade and influence, the knowledge of how to collaborate with others and to encourage collaboration with others, and the ability to set appropriate business goals. I plan to keep these qualities in mind and to grow these traits when given the opportunity. 

Sign In to comment