Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Hi Robin,
Students enjoy hearing stories as they apply to the course content/career! Students get a better understanding through the use of story telling.

Patricia Scales

The primary course I teach is Psychology. On the first day, I have students take a personality test. I have found that many students are very interested in finding out aspects of their personality. After reviewing their results, I explain that this course will allow them to continue to learn more about themselves as well as others. This trick has seemed to get many student's enthusiasm flowing.

Patricia,

I like to ask my students what they find most interesting about the materials were cover in class. They get so excited about talking about the material, then the other students will start a question dialogue. That makes me feel wonderful, because it lets them know that they know more than they realized.

Jacqueline Coleman

Hi Megan,
Yes, most people are really interested in learning about themselves.

Patricia Scales

Hi Jacqueline,
Good questions to ask students to generate excitement and discussion.

Patricia Scales

I like to relate to the students my experiences both in the real world and in the classroom. I think this helps them understand what is expected of them and maybe they will get excited.

Hi Fernando,
They will get excited when they find out how things are in the real world. It gives students something to look forward to.

Patricia Scales

I use previous experiences in the OR as a learning tool to get them excited.

Apart from the fact that the discussion has to be an exciting one relatively significant is the level of student participation that they must be active participants to produce one of those exceptional conversations that end far too promptly for both students and the instructor. The orthodox methods keep everyone engaged, either by thinking or sharing.
Group Answer Methods: Instructor forms small collaborative groups of about three students. When the instructor asks a discussion topic, each group has a token discussion of its own to deduce an answer.
Agreements Method: Keep each question going longer by involving more students in the discussion. When a student answers a question, asks another student if he or she accepts or objects the answer, then ask a different student.
Questionnaires Method: Divide the class into assemblages of two or three, and have each assemblage come up with three to five inquiries they would like to ask that student in an interview style. All group members should concur on all the issues. Next help each group to share their questions and the answers they received.

Motivating students is a teachers greatest challenge because the outcome is tied to how motivated they are to learn. Connecting the information from material or content of a course to practical, real-world encounter makes a huge difference in them paying attention and learning. Some material is easier to connect than others and even the level of real-world experience can vary from student to student but once a few students buy in others will take notice.

Hi Lowell,
Nicely stated! Students need to know that the information is going to be useful to them either personally or professionally. Once students understand the benefit they are more likely to buy in.

Patricia Scales

I use comparisons and analogies to show them how much they really know about the course. This way they do not feel so intimidated.

Patricia,
I am going to be teaching an introductory psychology course with only 3 students in it. I want them to bond together and feel like this course is important and worthwhile. I do not want anyone to drop the course! What is the best ice-breaker for a small group like this?
Sandy

I try to relate a lot of personal experiences into my instructional plan. I feel that they respond more to "real-life" examples and it helps to gear them for what experiences they may have personally as Medical Assistants. With my stories I also incorporate critical thinking, it is a great way to get their minds working!

We play Jeopardy when reviewing for tests. The students have a good time, and some are even surprised at what all they remember.

Hi Brian,
This is also a great technique to utilize to put students at ease. We must do what we can to generate excitement.

Patricia Scales

Hi Sandra,
Let the students list 15 things they have in common. Do not allow students them to use gender, body parts, clothes they have on, etc. make them think. This is a great bonding excercise. They will find out how they are alike in so many ways, yet different.

Patricia Scales

Hi Somer,
Awesome! Students enjoy hearing about how things really are in the real world. It is always good for students to know how to think out of the box.

Patricia Scales

Hi Suzanne,
Students enjoy learning through the use of games. Students retain more when they are having fun while learning.

Patricia Scales

I use what I like to call the comedy tragedy method. People naturally like to be entertained so when I start my course I try to find humorous videos that relate to the topic at hand.this works as a decent ice breaker and I found that I engage them not only on an educational level but an emotional level as well. If there is a part of the course that has danger or unsafe conditions I find videos of worst case situations. The best example I can think of is my time in the Marines preparing for deployment. We were learning about improvised explosive devices. To start the course we were watching explosive experts blow up things like washing machines or other junk complete with jokes and uplifting music. This got my attention and put me in a better mood making it easier to pay attention. Later in the same course we saw the awful devastation power of explosives by seeing videos of wounded or killed Marines. This class was seared into my brain for years because it registered educationally and on an emotional level giving us a much deeper appreciation for explosives.

Sign In to comment