Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

How we all play a role in retention

No matter how we approach a student, it must be with the intent on helping them to succeed.
We have to show caring and that we are not perfect, understanding and a willingness to find a solution to thier current situation. If not, then we need to know what we can and can not do or where they need to go and who to see for help.

We launched a program called EPIC last year, Every Personal Interaction Counts. A focus on customer service. I have always tried to treat the students how i would want my son treated if he were in their shoes. We all have said it but it really is as simple as being professional, compasionate and just treating them as human beings and listen to them when they need an ear. If they feel like they have support it is much easier for them to continue when things get tough.

Retention is important in every school setting; however, how the problem is approached is important because it must have a goal in my mind. We incorporate our advisory group to help have communication and further our relationships with our students.

I agree with this comment whole heartedly.

A few years ago, a professor in the education department of a nearby University came over to do a research project. I was cited as the primary reason several of our students continued to attend even though most of them HAD considered dropping out at some point.

This caught many of us by surprise as several of the students interviewed had problems in my course and a few had actually lodged complaints that I was too tough. Some of the students didnt even have me as an instructor and did not actually even know my name but had to point me out to him.

The reason they gave?

"Because he greets me in the hallway every morning. He smiles at me and seems honestly glad to see me. He asks me how I am doing and really wants to know..."

...and more in that same vein.

Did I really? Not always. There have been days that I felt like I could cheerfully choke the next person to come through the door with one more problem to add to the load.

But, their perception is ALWAYS going to be stronger than the reality of the situation. What they BELIEVE you feel about them and how invested you are in their success is going to be the determining factor... whatever the truth may be. You can feel it, but if they dont feel that you do, you will watch another one out the horizon.

Reach out and touch someone.

That's quite a compliment from the students. Although it's hard to cheerfully greet students all the time, you have demonstrated the impact it can have. Keep up the good work!

I would like to mention here that it caught us ALL by surprise. As I have mentioned elsewhere in these forums, I am a retired detention officer. When I first started teaching, I ran my classroom like I ran my unit. After two weeks, the boss had about decided he had made a mistake and was about to terminate me.

I loosened up a little.

But... the running joke around here was in meetings he would say "everybody remember to smile... except you, KEvin. you scare people"

I get a lot of students that know me without ever having me the reason is this. During their first week of school I go talk to them and let them know if you need help you can come see me. Am I always gonna be able to help you nope but I will listen and let you know if I think I can. Nevr ever make promises you can not keep. I always say hello to all students I can and joke with them when the time is right. Have had many students who I have not and will never have in my class stop by just to say Hi. The reason is this I show them right from the beginning I actually care about them, their education, and their future. Believe me it helps when you show you care and its not just a paycheck.

I do feel that you set the tone. Greeting the students at the door with a smile, handshake or a short "how's it going" does wonders. I find that the student wants to be there more often that not. Give them reasons to be at class. Meet each lecture with excitement. What they are going to get out of it. Provide more hands on learning experiences while you lecture. Bringing them in to the learning environment instead of just lecturing at them. If you're not in it they're not in it. Keith

i have a fair amount of students that say hi every day. i am considerd a fun instuctor.i have not compramized the education factors i have put myself in there shoes is this wrong?

Why would it be considered wrong?

this says it very well, we all have to treat every student the way we would want our own kids treated. Show concern and careing.

"We have to show caring and that we are not perfect, understanding and a willingness to find a solution to their current situation".
This is very true. Students will adapt to you better if they know, that you know, you are not not perfect. No "Big me, little you" attitude.

This is true and in the Online environment it becomes more of a challenge. EVERY communication with a student must be reviewed to make sure the perceived meaning will match the intended meaning of the writer. Coaching in online classes is more difficult and must sometimes include calls to students by instructors, tutors, student services, and other staff members to assist students with issues and helping them successfully complete courses.

There was a previous forum that I was in about being honest - about our experiences and I think this is where we can apply that as well. We cannot fix every problem they have, but we can help and be understanding and help find a solution. I know I struggled in school as I was not a stellar student, but I made it through and I have been successful and we can encourage them through our experiences.

Sign In to comment