Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I've learned that questioning adds to the student learning experience for both introductory learning and comprehension. Questions help expand on topics, students led, and increase student participation in their learning journey. 

Make students feel their participation is valued, especially those who would not expect it. 

When students are asking questions they are engaging to understand better. 

I do believe  that asking questions is a great way to motivate students to get involved in the classroom

By questioning students during the teaching process you are able to gauge how information is being received by the class.

Questioning as a teaching technique is effective because it encourages active participation and engagement from students, fostering critical thinking and problem-solving skills. By posing thought-provoking questions, instructors can assess understanding, clarify concepts, and go deeper in exploration of topics. This approach cultivates a dynamic learning environment where students are motivated to explore ideas independently and collaborate with peers.

To keep students engaged it is important to ask questions that are relevant and can be expanded on.

Using questioning for learning or teaching students is important.

Questioning is a good tool to use for learning.  

The importance of pausing (stretching time a bit) during question asking and answering. I am a quick thinker and I have noticed that certain students will more quickly respond. By allowing more time between asking a question and calling on a student, I'm encouraging folks who need a couple more seconds to feel more welcome to participate. 

Questioning student responses encourages them to think.

Students need to be also ready for class and have the discipline to return any homework. We need to have the same, as the students will follow our example. They also need to participate in the class and previous modules gave me some help in getting that!

La importancia que tienen las preguntas o la forma de preguntarle a los alumnos para ayudarlos a a interactuar y comprender.

Answer:

This module has deepened my understanding of questioning as a powerful teaching technique. I’ve learned that asking the right questions can stimulate critical thinking, encourage active learning, and help assess students' understanding. It has also shown me the importance of using a variety of question types—such as open-ended, probing, and reflective questions—to engage learners more effectively.

Application:

I intend to apply this knowledge by integrating more thoughtful questioning into my teaching practice. Instead of simply conveying information, I will focus on asking questions that challenge students to think more deeply and articulate their reasoning. For instance, I’ll use open-ended questions to promote discussion and problem-solving, and reflective questions to encourage self-assessment and personal connection to the material.

Additionally, I’ll be mindful of using questions to gauge comprehension throughout a lesson, adjusting my teaching approach as needed based on students' responses. By doing so, I aim to create a more interactive and student-centered learning environment that fosters critical thinking and deeper understanding.

Questions should be easily understood and trimmed of excess verbiage.

I can encourage individuals to think more critically and engage with questions at a deeper, higher level of understanding. This method fosters thoughtful reflection and helps to develop more profound insights into the subject matter.

I have learned that questioning is an integral part of good teaching and student learning.  Asking the right question at the right time helps to facilitate student participation in their learning, and opens up class discussion so more students are encouraged to speak up.  I think this is an important tool as it takes the focus off of the teacher as the sage imparting knowledge to those who don't know, to knowledge building based on collaboration.  I like it.

I have always stood by and truly believe - There are no dumb questions.

When questioning students, I now realize that I have been guilty of asking a lot of broad-ranged questions, which often leave the students "dazed" and "confused" they are desperately searching for an answer they think I am looking for.  I am definitely going to be more mindful of the types of questions I ask, open-ended, close-ended etc.

Sign In to comment