Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The first class session sets the tone .

Introducing myself at the beginning of the class is an important "break the ice" moment with the students and helps teacher and student to get to know one another.  

I can see how this information could be useful in a regular classroom setting. I work in a prison and my classes rotate through 8 sessions, on an ongoing basis, so there really is no first class. I also have a 1000 students a year so knowing them by name is near impossible. I could possibly incorporate some of this into the orientation class which is almost like a first class. We go over the entire program and they are given materials that are similar to text books and a syllabus. 

First day of class is important to get to know each other and to show what a great journey it will be to not be scared.

The classroom environment should be comfortable ad welcoming. However, guidelines should be put in place as well as requirements of the course. Additionally, do not rush to try and fit everything in during the first class. It is better to be clear and concise and pick-up where you left off in the next session. 

• perform proper classroom introduction
  • Conduct class by using institutions guidelines
  • maintain professionalism
  • create dialog with class to show them you are interested in their advancement
  • be trustworthy, be able to have confidence in your ability, skills, and the ability to relay this to your students
  • ability to listen and act accordingly using established methods

A great start to a class makes it easier for students to be more comfortable with engaging and participating. 

It's important to share about yourself and your experiences and start the class with clear information, and encourage students to participate.

it's good to tell your students about yourself.

First day - fun days! I love getting to know my students! This is where we will chat, and everyone will get to know each other and myself included! I love telling my students about my life experiences - it shows them I am and was in the same place they are today! If I can do it, they can do it! 

Comment on abegaille midoro's post: Once the student is aware of your expertiese and comfort with the course material they can feel a relief that what they  can say to themselves "learning is on me!" Get to study and learn this material.

An effective teaching strategy is getting the class to know and grow comfortable with one another. Everyone introducing themselves, teacher included help ease the comfortability of meeting each other. After classmates meet each other, doing activities to grow comfortable with group activities and class interactions helps people feel that they are in a nice teaching space.

I learned the importance of getting to know your students.

Meet the students as they come to class, do a meet and greet so everyone knows about you, be sure to be honest as to what will be expected from them.

I believe the first day is important because it set the tone for your class. Keeping in mind that while we are getting to know each other on personal level the instructor must keep it professional.   

Conducting an "Icebreaker" exercise can be beneficial, not only for the instructor, but for the students as well.

In concluding the first class, students should: 1) have a sense of what they are doing, 2) have a feeling that the other students are not strangers, 3) know that you, as the instructor, care about their learning experience, and 4) have a good idea about what is expected of them in the course.

Introductions are important. It provides comfort to the students, and it will provide a small background for the instructor.

I like the recommendation of a brief introduction but letting the students know something personal so they can relate as a human.  I am also terrible with names but allowing the opportunity for students to say their name and something about them can definitely help, especially in a smaller setting. 

Effective Teaching Strategies: Meeting the Class for the First Time

Meeting a class for the first time sets the tone for the entire course. What I’ve learned is that the initial interaction is crucial in establishing rapport, setting expectations, and creating a positive learning environment. First impressions can shape the way students perceive both the course and the instructor. Introducing yourself in a way that reflects your passion for the subject and your commitment to student success helps build trust and encourages engagement from the very beginning.

To apply this, I plan to start each course by clearly communicating course goals, expectations, and grading policies, while emphasizing the resources available for student support. I will also engage students in an introductory activity to learn more about their backgrounds, interests, and concerns, fostering a sense of community. Encouraging an open dialogue from the start will allow students to feel comfortable asking questions and expressing their needs. Establishing a welcoming and inclusive environment is key to helping students feel invested in the course and confident in their ability to succeed.

Sign In to comment